Thursday, July 16, 2009

Shop talk.

I made another batch of soap this morning. This is my 11th batch. I scented this one with white grapefruit and then added the left over blood orange scent. I added a total of 3.7oz of scent. The batch only calls for 3oz. I also added 1/4 cup of ground up dried orange peel. The peels were big chunks so I put them in the food processor but that didn't grind them up fine enough. I have a spice grinder (coffee grinder) so I put them in there and whir whir whir, I had a nice fine grind. This batch will be exfoliating bars of soap. When I was grinding up the peels they smelled very orange-ie, maybe having that in the soap will help the scent stay. ( and the extra .7oz might help)

While I was using my stick blender to bring the soap to trace, the blender part came off and slowly sunk into the soap! I had to fish it out. Luckily I have 2 stick blenders so I swapped them out. I had a very soapy, slick hand. I was wearing gloves as there was lye so I swapped out the gloves too.

I am going to order more scents. I think that I will get a few blended ones. But they have goofy names. Well, I think that they are goofy. They have names like aphrodisiac, immune boost, sensuality and sports. I will re-name them but I can't think of what to call them. Any ideals?
I keep thinking of blend 1 and blend 2 and so on. That wont work. I need help!

6 comments:

  1. Your orange blend sounds great, and who amongst us coulodn't do with some exfoliation????

    Do you know what the blends smell like? I like spicy myself and you know what a spicy girl I am!!

    There used to be a place in the Dimond Center that sold bath things. My favorite scent bath scent was "Jamaica Me Crazy". YUMMY.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you could come up with names that sounded goaty but not in a bad way. Like "Billy Goat Gruff" for the sport scent, I'm assuming that is a "manly" scent. When are you going to send out your little samples? Please send me a correctly cut bar so I can start trying label wrappers on it. Some of your batches will be ready to sell soon and you'll want labels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's another one "Nanny Nectar" for the "aphrodisiac".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like PA's suggestions. I'm sure I can think of some names when I get home.

    Hope all is well at the library. Wanted to visit the Lewis & Clark public library here in Lincoln, MT but it doesn't open until 3-6 pm today...what??? What kind of weird hours are those for a Friday? I just took a pic of the library anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the goat theme names. I'll have to get my hubby on the names, as you know he comes up with some good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Renaming is definately a must. Maybe you'll have to wait and see what they really smell like.

    ReplyDelete