Thursday, December 31, 2009

Yummies.

I got invited to a sledding party tonight for New Years Eve a week ago. She's the person that i showed how to make soap, the home schooling mom. I probably wont go down death hill on a sled. I will be wise and stay inside and play card games and eat yummies. I am a chicken when it comes to sledding. My sister Patty had to have knee surgery due to a bad sledding accident and I learned a lesson from that!

I'm bringing stuffed mushroom for the shin-dig tonight. My sister Patty is the first one in the family to start making them. They are tasty and easy to make. What more could you want in an appetizer?
I'm sorry but the above picture does not look that great. But gray mushrooms are gray mushrooms.
They will look better when they get baked.
How to make them.
1 lbs of sausage ( I used Jimmy Dean regular flavor )
1 8oz brick of cream cheese.
Mushrooms.
Brown the sausage and cook all the way through. Keep working it so that the sausage is in small pieces. ( You don't want big chunks as then it's hard to get into the mushroom caps )
When that's done add the brick of cream cheese. I cut it up into chunks so that it melts better.
Set the sausage/mushroom mix aside to cool while you work on the shrooms.
I had a hard time finding good shrooms to use. I got 3, 8oz packages and I was not able to use them all due to the quality of some of them. I ended up stuffing 30 of them and I had enough of the mix to stuff more. ( I will add that to my scramble eggs for breakfast )
Take the stems and gills out of the shrooms. I used a small melon baller to get the gills out. Take the shroom guts and fry them up in some butter and season with salt,pepper and garlic and cook until done and the water has evaporated. Add that to the sausage/creme cheese mix and combine.
Use a spoon and stuff the shrooms with the mix. Bake at 350 for about 15 to 20 min.
Helpful hints. Don't get really big mushrooms. You want to be able to eat them in 1 or 2 bites.
Don't get them too small as then they break when you try and gut them. I also add a shake or 2 of red pepper flakes to the mix as I like a little heat.
Have a fun and safe New Year Eve tonight.

8 comments:

  1. I like stuffed mushrooms but have never made them, I guess cause my guys haven't liked mushrooms in the past. Although I am getting my kids to like them now. Maybe some time I will give those a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gonna be a mellow New Years Eve on the "Draggin' A** Acres". Taylor is still at Hills working her 3 young horses so I will probably just sit around by woodstove and listen to "Sarge" cuss!! teehee Lance had surprise 50th b-day party for Sally last night so got home a little late and ready to relax tonight as soon as get home from work!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Krissy! we love stuffed shrooms. I've been making them lately with cream cheese, shrimp or fake crab, onions, garlic and whatever else you want to throw in...top with fresh parmesan cheese before baking.. they are yummies!

    we are heading for the cabin after Bill gets off work today. Not good snow up there from what we hear, but we can always snowshoe!!

    happy new year to you.
    xoxoox
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year Krissy!!!!
    I am so excited that you will have baby goats. How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy, those mushroom caps sound really good! We'll have to try them.

    I usually make mine with crab and the cream cheese, but the sausage sounds pretty darn good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never had stuffed mushrooms, but the recipe does look good.

    Good choice not to sled down the hill tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Step away from the hill. I speak from experience. I never chop up the guts and gills and put them back in the mixture. I usually slice the stems and throw them in something else and throw the gills out. I made stuffed mushrooms for Christmas Eve - I still have some mixture left over. Planning to buy more 'shrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, that looks good! I do something similar - instead of mushrooms, you put the cream cheese/sausage mixture into a crescent roll, roll it up, and then bake it.

    I'll have to try it with the mushrooms one of these days.

    Too cold to go sledding lately. :) Hope you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete