Saturday, August 1, 2009

Animal Auction.

Today my friend Kellie and I ( and her daughter ) went to the town of Thorp as they have a animal auction on the first Saturday of every month. I have never been to a auction myself much less an animal auction. There were a lot of people there. Maybe 200 or so? hard to say. There were also a lot of Amish and Mennonites there. I was impressed with how big and leggy the Amish horses are. They seemed to be all leg to me.

Over all I came away with a bad/sad feeling about the auction. I may have a romanticizes ideal about farm life and such. Maybe I do coddle my animals and see them more as pets them utility animals. I came away with the feeling that a lot of the animals are just trading one hard life for another hard life. I didn't take a few pictures as it seemed to me to be cruel. One goat was so skinny that you really could see each and every rib, the back bone was about 2 inched high as there was no meat on the goat. The hip and breast bones jutted out. I wanted to take that goat home and give it a happy, well fed life with getting lots of petting. But you can't take home every sad case that you see. I just wonder about people that let their animals get in such a condition. Maybe the goat was sick or had worms but then why not get it medication and fix the problem? Or out of compassion put it down if you can't take care of it?

That was not the only uncared for animal that we saw. I do know that when I need to find homes for my kids ( I can't keep all the babies!) I wont be taking them to an animal auction. I want a little more control on who gets them. This may seem harsh but I would rather bring my goats to market weight and eat them myself knowing that they had a pretty good life. Then have them go to an uncaring person. OK. Off my soap box! Here are some pictures that I did take.











P.S. As of today I have been blogging for one year! I have 362 posting in one year. I missed 3 days. 2 are when I was over in MN for my Grandmother's funeral and the other one was when my computer was broke for the week. Not bad. I started blogging as a way to keep in touch with friends and family back in Alaska and a few that live here in the lower 48. I have enjoyed blogging. I have met all kind of interesting,funny and kind people. I think that I will blog for another year.


6 comments:

  1. I can see what you mean. I thought animal auctions would be fun, but then I probably have the same view as you. I'm sure everyone who has an animal does so because they love them and want them and take care of them. I guess that isn't true. I can just see you with a herd of 20-30 goats in a year or so if you went to auctions too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on a year of blogging. I am glad your are going to contine. I have really enjoyed reading about your life in WI, your trip to WI and life on the boat!

    Keep up the good work and here is to another year of enjoyable blogging (on your part) and reading (on my part).

    ps I would want to take the unloved animals to you too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I would like going. I can't even stand going to the circus, cause it just doesn't seem right seeing those wild animals tamed and doing tricks.

    That was a lot of bunnies in that last shot, poor things.

    One year of blogging, good for you! Blogging everday seems like a lot of work, but you seemed to have enjoyed yourself. I know I have enjoyed reading your blog and getting to know you better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Blogging Anniversary Krissy!!!

    Auctions sure can be an eye opener....guess there's all kinds of people. Some look after the animals in their care better than others....grrrrrr

    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never been to an auction, but have heard about the conditions of some of the animals. Congratulations on your 1st anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete