Sunday, February 28, 2010

Time to make the bread.

I went to the bakery for four hours on Saturday and then today I went for two and a half hours after Church. On Saturday I helped make bread. This is a gluten, soy, corn, and nut free facility. I asked if they were making air. They use brown or white rice flour, sorghum flour and other stuff. The bread is a bit on the heavy side but it does smell good when it is baking. I also did a lot of washing up. Each time a different type of bread was made we would have to wash all the bowls and other utensils. The owners are still trying to get it all figured out so it will take time till they have a smooth operation going.

Today when I came in to help there was a big problem! The big walk in oven was not working and they had two batches of bread that needed to be baked and one batch that was being put together. They stopped making the one batch and we made space in the big fridge and put the bread that was waiting to be baked in it to slow down the raising. We then switched to slicing the bread that was made yesterday and bagging it. I can see where that will be the boring job, and maybe a little bit crank inducing as the slicing machine is loud, slow and really vibrates.

I have to admit, when I saw these beauties I had mixer envy! Is that a sin? Coveting someones mixer?

8 comments:

  1. I understand the mixer envy, I've got it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now those are mixers. Were you able to sample any bread?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did they finally get the oven working? So is a walk-in oven something like what Hansel and Gretel pushed the old witch into.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it is a sin, according to the good Father at our church. And yes, I'm right there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What's the scoop with working in a bakery? When did this happen? My mum works in a bakery. She makes the cakes and cookies. Such a horrible job. Thank goodness she doesn't like sweets.

    I take after my father.

    ReplyDelete
  6. those are some big mixers! They are on the floor right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bet you had fun Krissy. Looks like a nice set up.

    ReplyDelete