Sunday, August 9, 2009

Information overload.

Yesterday we had storms in the morning and then a very hot and humid day and then the storms came back in the evening. I think I might need to move back to Alaska! Up there we had earthquakes but they didn't worry me. You would just be sitting there at work or home and BAM! You are smack dab in an earthquake. You did wonder if it's "the big one" but in about 10 to 30 seconds you kind of know. You might edge toward a door frame or if you were at my place of work where we had WW2 military desk you might think about how you were going to get under that. But there was none of this watching it and and tracking it and sending updates and all that stuff.

Being that I was getting weather warning all day yesterday I got caught up in the watching and the tracking of them. You can go to Weather Underground and put in your zip code and see what storms are coming. I did and got scared. At one point there was 3 storms with one being severe that was going to go right over my zip code area. I felt that the tracking arrow was pointed right at me. By this time the thunder is a constant rumble and big booms and the lighting it doing it's thing. I put my pants on and socks and got the big flashlight. I even put a chair in the basement cause if I needed to go there, I was not going to sit on the floor with the spiders! I called up my Mommy and Daddy and my Dad talked me down by telling me that hey, you live in AK, you have earthquakes, live on the coast, you get hurricanes, live in WI, you might have tornadoes and just cause there is a tornado watch or a warning does not mean that it's coming to your house. By midnight I was tired of the emotional roller coaster ride that the weather had me on and I went to bed. Slept like a baby.

6 comments:

  1. Actually by midnight last night I was already ignoring the weather alert warnings. I watched and waited for the big storm to blow in. When it finally did blow in, I was so tired of waiting for the storm that I said, "oh, what the heck, I'm going to bed." Later on I found out tornadoes where spotted northwest of here...oops. Next time I will try to stay more alert.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too early for me to be commenting. :)

    Thankfully the storms didn't produce much damage. I'm still a wuss with tornado watches/warnings, and I grew up with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We did the same thing when we first moved here. It is overwealming waiting for the BIG TORNADO to come, so I quit.. I'll check out the storm warnings, but refuse to get too freaked out about them now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You get used to all the storm warnings after awhile. I rely mostly upon good old common sense and a few indicators of sky conditions that you pick after years of summer storms. I think I'd rather have the storms than the earth quakes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crochet lady - I will take an earthquake anyday. Like Krissy said, you don't worry about them coming, you get a tremor maybe a good shaker and then it is over. Of course for next little while, everyone is asking, "did you feel the earthquake?"

    Krissy, you can come how anytime!

    ReplyDelete