Saturday, September 4, 2010

Now I'm sad.

I got the test back for Maggie ( The other goat) and looks like she is also positive for Johne's. She has been losing weight but I was hoping that it was cause I have been cutting back on the grain as I'm drying her up.

What this means is that I will have to put her down and I will also put down Sage, the baby goat that is almost five months old. Sage had a 25% chance of having it due to her mom Juju having it, now with Maggie testing positive it's up in the 90% range that she also has it, just that she is to young to test. Sage is also to young to shed (it's not in the poop yet) Johne's

I won't have goats this winter and maybe not till spring of 2012. The ground will need to sit for one year. I could probably get goats in the fall time, but why mess with goats in the winter? I will just wait until spring. This way the ground will have plenty of time to do it's thing.

I still have plenty of milk set aside for soap making and if I need more next summer I know other people that have milk goats.

I will not be getting my goats from the same person that I got these ones from. I think that she has an epidemic on her land and that she is burying her head in the sand and not addressing it. (IMHO)

While I am sad by this news, I was prepared for it to be bad so I'm not surprised by it.


  1. I feel for you. That's just horrible. My goats are like our kids. Dave is already talking about replacing Febe in a couple of years, since she's going to be 5 years old. So I just don't want to think about it.

    Having to do what you're having to do is just horrible. But you are doing the right thing with letting the land do it's thing.

    Next time you get goats, you might want to get the ones you want tested before you buy them. Just a thought. I've only heard of one person around here that had it. Hopefully she's the only one.

    You're in my thoughts and prayers.

  2. Lisa, that is 100% what I plan on doing. I will, from now on, only buy goats that have been tested to be free of Johne's. I think that here in WI and other states that there are lots of people that trade/buy/sell and swap goats without testing or having the goat long enough to see if it develops. My goats are now two+ years old and are just now showing the signs of it

  3. After the coccidiosis incident, and what you've gone through, we've decided that our farm is going to be a closed farm. No more animals coming in. Some will of course leave, but we are not getting anymore. Too much of a risk.

    Around here nobody tests for anything because it's so expensive. So I just hope that Cindi Lou and Tomi are going to be fine.

    Dave disbuds kids here, but I think that he's going to go to each farm and do it there since I don't want strange goats here. Too much of a risk.

    It's tough having farm animals, especially when they are more pets than farm stock.


  4. Real bummer Krissy! :(

    As with so many others and what I originally planned for. I also want a closed farm.

  5. I'm sorry to hear this sad news Krissy. I think I'm going to cry...I liked your goats. I just saw Sage for the first time last weekend and she was sooooo sweet.

  6. I am so sorry. I think that is why I haven't replaced my cats, too sad to lose one.

  7. Sorry Krissy. I don't even know what to say, that's very sad and a bummer about the start of your soap business. Losing all your goats within a month. I guess the farm life isn't easy and you do what you got to do.

  8. Very sad news Kris.

    I really thought Maggie would be fine and we'd be making 2 more pens this fall for you to rotate the goats onto.

    Good thing you are so damn tough! Keep your chin up!! I love ya!

  9. I'm so sorry Aunt Krissy. Give Maggie and Sage lots of love from us here in Georgia before they cross.

  10. How crumb bummy. Poor Maggie. You have had a tough go of it with your goats. I surely hope the lady you got your goats from is prompted to do some serious thinking and not offer anymore goats to people until she is sure they are disease free.

    I think that is a wise choice to get any future goats tested. Any time you deal with animals there are always health risks, but that fact doesn't make what you have to do any easier.

    If there is anything I can do, let me know.

  11. I'm so sorry to hear your bad news. Our goats came to us infected with the Barber Pole worm, and we lost the kid before we realized what they had. We managed to save the two females but we were so worried in the meantime.

    I'm hoping that better times are ahead for you, and I'm wishing you the strength to bear what must be borne.

  12. I'm so sorry about this Krissy. This has been awful for you...I hope the lady you bought them from opens her eyes to waht is happening!